Friday 9 July 2010

It's A Family Affair

Stage Managers as a breed appeal to me. I like their extreme organisation and fetishistic love of stationery. However, there is a type of stage manager that I loathe. It's the type that assumes that the actors cannot think for themselves and furthermore mustn't be allowed to think too hard as those thoughts are bound to be naughty and work to the detriment of the company and the show. Whilst some actors admittedly need more managing than others I resent being herded about like a naughty child by someone who thinks that my sole intention is to bollocks things up.

I say this because Basso, love him as I do, is in danger, when he dons his 'management' hat, of falling into the latter category. It's more complicated than that... he's closely related to the Director and is understandably hypersensitive to any perceived criticism of the company or its organisation. Furthermore he seems to have lost sight of how much we all adore the company and the Director, and how far we have all gone in terms of extra time and effort to promote the company's interests. At the moment we're just a bunch of tossers who've been rude to his dad.

Only he's allowed to do that.

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment